Wednesday, July 2, 2014

First Impression: Ipsy | May 2014


If you're familiar with my blog, you know that I've recently ventured into the "beauty" niche. It's actually a longtime love, but I've only been blogging about my makeup and beauty adventures since the springtime. May was my very first month with beauty box subscription services. And I have to say that I'm hooked! It's such a fun way to discover new products that I wouldn't typically buy on my own, get great discounts on the products I try and love, and an awesome way to build my makeup collection. 

Ipsy is a $10 monthly subscription service where members receive a Glam Bag filled with deluxe samples and full-sized beauty and makeup products. For me, the value of the boxes has exceeded the cost of the monthly service! Beauty Box 5 is another monthly beauty service I'm subscribed to.

May's theme was "Fresh Picks." Although I saw bad reviews from members disappointed with the items from this month's bag, I couldn't have been happier. Many ipsters received more skincare than makeup. But my bag actually had everything you'd expect from a beauty subscription service. A range of makeup, haircare, and skincare!

I know this post is a little late, but it has given me a chance to really use and review these products for you...

Here is what my bag included:

Avene Thermal Spring Water
$18- for 10.58oz / Sample: $6.01 for 1.76oz

This is one of those products that I wouldn't normally buy on my own. A can of French water? Thanks, ipsy! But after reading the little pamphlet that came with it and doing some research online, I decided to give it a try. It's amazing! I know, I know... what's so special about a can of water? It can be used as a makeup setting spray, to refresh your face after a workout, cool you down on a hot day, soothe underarm razor burn, offer your little one relief from diaper rash, hydrate the dry skin on your face, and so much more.

I'm not sure if I'll be repurchasing it because of the price, but this season it's a summer favorite and has a place in my everyday bag. It really makes my parched skin feel refreshed!

Balanced Guru No Frizz Oil
$25- for 1oz / Sample: $12.50 for .5oz

I really love searching for my next favorite hair product! And ipsy couldn't have picked a more perfect item for me to try. This lightweight oil contains organic ingredients that controls frizz and helps nourish and repair your hair. It does have a distinct scent of lemon and eucalyptus which may bother some people, but I think it smells fresh and clean! 

That $25 price tag is a reason I may not purchase this in the future, but I just love "green" beauty products! When it comes to my naturally curly hair, I do a weekly almond oil treatment, use a thermal protectant spray when flat ironing, and apply light creams or oils to define my tight curls on those natural hair days. A little bit of this product goes a long way; I just apply it to the ends where my hair needs the most help.

BOO-BOO COVER-UP
$19.99 for .34oz / Sample: Full Size!

Since I go for a more natural look, I hardly wear face makeup like foundation and concealer. I also have dry, sensitive skin, so although I do worry about a breakout from testing new products on my face, I'm always open to trying it at least once. At the moment, I only own a few drugstore foundations and concealers. I'm super excited about this brand!

It's a bit on the expensive side for my taste, so I'm happy to have a full-sized product to test. This is a special face and body concealer that was made to apply over scrapes, cuts, scars, or "boo-boos." I believe it helps with the healing process using some type of medicine. The Medium shade goes well with my olive skin tone.

HANG TEN Classic Sport Sunscreen
$12.99 for 6oz / Sample: $2.17 for 1oz

Sunscreen isn't something that I would choose to have in my beauty boxes, since I can easily buy it myself at any store. I'm familiar with the brand and like that this particular sunscreen has natural ingredients. It's also a sport version with SPF 50 making it perfect for outdoor family fun in and out of the water this summer! It's not a favorite product, but I'm happy to have it in my stash. I probably won't be purchasing this one in the future since I have more sunscreen than I need.

Pacifica Eye Shadow
$14- for Mystical Quad Palette / Sample: $[?] Duo Created for Ipsy

I first discovered Pacifica at my local grocery store while shopping the "natural" health & beauty aisles. Although I'm familiar with the brand, this eyeshadow is actually the first makeup item I own from them. The line uses natural ingredients and is cruelty-free. It's a little expensive, but if the quality is great I may need to purchase more products from Pacifica!

I really like the shades that came in Duo 2! There's a really pretty purple and a shimmery pinkish-white. The colors aren't extremely pigmented, but they are buildable. I think they provide you a subtle hint of color and shimmer perfect for light, natural summer makeup looks. 

Total Value of May's Bag: +$40.67
$10- Monthly Subscription

As you can see, the value of my bag was worth more than what I pay each month! I love ipsy! If this is a service you're curious about, I definitely think it's worth the money. You can also take a beauty survey that helps ipsy match products suited to what you use and like. And reviewing the items you receive each month helps ipsy personalize your Glam Bag even more! You'll also earn ipsy points that can be redeemed for free products!

Want to be an ipster? Please subscribe using my link.

Next week I'm planning to share my June Ipsy & BB5 boxes, so stay tuned! 

I really look forward to getting these awesome packages in the mail every month. It's a little way that I like to spoil myself. Can't wait to see what's coming this month and to share it here with you! 

Feel free to browse my other Beauty posts. You can also stay updated on my recent posts, projects, and photos by following me on instagram, or by "liking" my fan page on Facebook. So why not head over there now and show some love...

Are you addicted to beauty boxes? Which ones are you subscribed to? Any thoughts, questions, or comments about this post? I'd love to hear it! Your feedback is always welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks for stopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover