Friday, June 7, 2013

Smashbook: Words of Wisdom


Happy Aloha Friday Everyone! I hope you had a great week. I've been smashing for almost a year now, and a "Quotes" spread has been on my To-Make list since the beginning. I've been obsessed with quotes since childhood, and I have notebooks and journals full of them. Any great ones I came across, I jotted them down, referring to them throughout my life when I needed words of wisdom to help me through obstacles. Life hasn't always been easy, and seeing all these quotes talking about love or adversity, made me realize that I wasn't alone. I thought I would take this knowledge, and find a way to apply it to my beloved Smashbook. Today I'm sharing my most recent creation here with you...

Over the last year, I found some really beautiful quotes, and I chose my most favorite ones for this spread. I have to admit, that was the hardest part of this whole process. They were all special to me and I could easily relate to or understand the message behind all of them. But these particular ones spoke to me during this specific time in my life. I knew they were the ones I wanted to add to my book to later reflect on if I needed something to uplift my spirit, or give me clarity about life and its challenges. 


Like many of the pages in my pretty pink Smashbook, I chose to hand write everything. Writing and penmanship is another passion of mine since childhood. And it's a detail that I love adding to my books. If I know I'll be doing any type of writing, I make sure to choose pages designed with lines, or in this case, a grid. It's the perfectionist trait in me.... This way, I know my writing will always be neat and straight. The spread I chose here with the grid lines was perfect for this project, because I could also write vertically, mixing up the arrangement of the different quotes.

The white grid paper pages were way too plain for me though. So I decided to add some color by spritzing them with my homemade glimmer mist and alcohol ink sprays in shades of pink and purple. It provides the perfect backdrop for my handwritten quotes.



Before doing any writing in my book, I always start out in pencil. It may seem tedious at first, but it makes all the difference if it saves you from ruining your pages because of a misspelled word. It also lets you play around with the placement of things if it doesn't look right the first time. After I have everything where I want them, I go over the writing with my black zig pen and erase all of the pencil marks. I usually make another pass with the black pen to finish it all off.

As far as embellishments go for these pages, I kept it to a minimum. I let the quotes do all the talking. All I added were some glitter chipboard alphabet stickers and tiny pieces of bling. I don't think it needs any more than that.


This spread was so simple to make and required only a few supplies. But it's definitely one of the more special pages to fill my book. I love everything about it and what it represents. Most of all, I love having a new and creative place to hold all of those precious words of wisdom I come across in my life. This definitely won't be the only "Quotes" spread in my books....

Want to take a peek into my pretty pink smashbook? You can find it here, as well as in my archives, and also under the topic titled "Smashbook." Looking for more Smash*ing inspiration? Be sure to check out my "Smash* & PL" pinboard on Pinterest. It's full of hundreds of links to free printables, ideas, inspiration, and DIYs for everything Smash and Project Life related. While you're there, be sure to browse my "Wisdom" board for more inspirational quotes.


I hope you enjoyed my post and leave here feeling inspired to create something beautiful. Are you a Smash*er? Have you made your "Quotes" page yet? I'd love to hear about it. Any thoughts, questions, or comments about this post? Please let me know. Your feedback is always welcome and much appreciated.

Thank you for stopping by!

"Your Mission: Be so busy loving your life, that you have no time for hate, regret, or fear."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover